Nessy is an online research based animated software that teaches reading, spelling and writing skills and is proven to close the attainment gap. Available in both UK and US English, Nessy is used in over 10,000
and many homes worldwide.
Nessy works for children of all abilities and especially those children with learning difficulties or dyslexia that require extra support in a fun, entertaining format to help them to catch up at school.
Grade Levels 1 – 6
Recommended for children 5 – 11 years
- A series of 100 lessons divided over 10 animated islands, which systematically build upon each other in the development of core reading skills, all while applying the proven methods of Orton Gillingham principles.
- Strengthens phonemic awareness, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension skills
- 45 fun animated reading strategies
- 74 delightful animated phonemes
- 52 effective animated memory strategies for words and spelling
- 58 multi-sensory animated prefixes and suffixes
- Offers 1000’s of printable worksheets
Wendy Hurford MBE Director of Special Education for Jersey
Nessy Reading Spelling has been developed by a team of specialist teachers and psychologists to help children with dyslexia and reading difficulties.
Windows PC or Apple Mac. Broadband internet connection
Latest browser (Chrome recommended)
Full tablet accessibility coming July 2015
2-5 sessions per week – The more the better really.
Julian Swindale, Class teacher, Sefton Park Infant School
- Assessment Tools: Inbuilt assessments align learning targets for each student’s reading level. In addition, reporting delivers performance data and analysis in a simple to understand format, and color-coding allows teachers to immediately identify and target areas of individual difficulty. What’s more, the initial evaluation helps to create a baseline score upon which progress is measured.
- Individualised Approach: Students learn at their own pace which makes them feel confident and self-assured.
- Rewards: Student progress is rewarded as they complete fun game-like activities and unlock new games, characters and magical worlds.
- Strategies: The effective use of animation enables Nessy to aid memory retention of word forms and to cement important spelling rules.
- 10 islands
- 100 lessons
- 1000+ worksheets
- 45 animated strategies
- Learn prefixes and suffixes
- Mnemonic spelling strategies
- Sets learning objectives
- Easy to use
- Developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre
- Used in 10,000 schools worldwide
- Winner of the Education Resources Award
- Has proven results
- Highly motivating
- Rebuilds self-confidence
- Improves reading, spelling and writing
- Structured into 100 systematic, cumulative lessons
- Guides children through the program
- Develops phonemic awareness
- Offers animated strategies that explain the rules of English
- Has 1000s of printable worksheets and card games
- Includes fun mnemonic memory strategies to improve spelling
- Is game-based to keep children engaged
- Provides activities to encourage fluency, vocabulary and comprehension
- Is evidence based Click Here to learn more